Costs for two weeks in Switzerland?
This is the one question for which I could not get a clear answer when preparing for our European road trip. I know costs are very relative, but based on our trip, I have itemised our costs for two weeks in Switzerland.
Prices are in AUD, however you can use our handy currency converter to plan your budget in your local currency.
Walking and enjoying the magnificent Swiss Alpine scenery is free, however getting there can be very expensive, and once you are there as a captive audience, so can food be. Cost of cable cars to Schilthorn was eye-watering, but the views at the top were priceless.
Our trip was during summer, so if you are planning a skiing holiday in the Swiss Alps, your costs will be significantly higher.
Money saving tips for Switzerland
Not wanting to totally scrimp on our holiday, we chose a sensible compromise. We packed supermarket bought snacks and drinks in our backpack, enjoyed lunch out as a main meal (less expensive) and cooked dinner at our chalet. You could certainly spend a lot less than we did, but you could also spend waaay more depending on your tastes.
If planning to self cater, do remember to pack tote bags, as supermarket bags don’t exist in Switzerland. Also be aware of packaging, as it costs to dispose of rubbish.
Cost of Accommodation in Switzerland
- A self catering ski chalet in Grindelwald for six people cost CHF 1500 AUD 2100 for one week In July.
- Hotel accommodation in Grindelwald per night for two people CHF 155 AUD 221 per night low season CHF 175 AUD 250 high season.
- 2 Nights accommodation upmarket hotel Lucerne 2 people CHF 280 AUD 400
Cost of Food and Drink in Switzerland
- Bag of basic groceries – meat, veg, milk, bread cereal, for two people, two days CHF 29 AUD42
- Two course pub meal with wine and beer for two people CHF 55 AUD79
- Schnitzel, chips and glass of wine, glass of beer for two people at Grindelwald First cafeteria CHF 45 AUD 65
- Lunch for 2 – schnitzel, torte, beer and wine at alpine restaurant CHF 43 AUD60
- 2x Burger and chips, one glass wine one beer at Piz Gloria Schilthorn CHF55 AUD 79
- Lunch for 2 at Glacier Hotel CHF 44 AUD65
Transport costs in Switzerland
The local bus services in both Grindelwald and Lucerne were free with vouchers from accommodation providers.
- Tank of fuel for a nine seater VW minibus CHF 90 AUD 129
Entertainment costs in Switzerland
- Grindelwald First Return cable car CHF 42 per person AUD60
- Mannlichen Cable car from Grindelwald CHF 30 per person AUD 43
- Schilthorn Cable car CHF 105 per person AUD150 (yes, per person)
- Pfingstegg Cable Car CHF 12.80 per person AUD18
- Entry to Glacier Gorge CHF 15 per person AUD21
- Bobsled rides CHF 20 for 4 rides AUD29
- Lucerne Transport Museum CHF 30 per person AUD43
The above were our actual expenditure in July 2017. We hope these indicative costs help to budget your trip to Switzerland.